Twitter Lists are nothing new by design, but the promotion of them is going to.
What I have already seen to get more twitter followers
twitter competitions to follow someone
As excited as it is getting more followers on twitter, its really about using your influence to help others. This is where lists come in.
Lists can be considered from a personal level, a way to filter people you follow. On a larger scale, it allows you to tell everyone who you feel is worthy to be put on a niche list.
I am still experimenting on the idea, but I am beginning to believe a creative way to build brand equity is to encourage people to follow lists you have created.
Why do I say that?
- The perception of a user being listed is worth more than a follower
- The individuals on the list feel appreciated that you have considered them to be on such a list
- If you encourage your followers to “follow” that list, the individuals will see that this is not just a random listed titled “friends”
The graph below showcases the number of followers for the top 140 lists according to Listorious.
- The number of followers per list drastically reduces after the top 10.
- To get into the top 140 lists you only need to have ~339 followers to follow that list.
- Creating hyper local/niche lists could possibly get you in the top 140 lists.
* The listorious information was of 3/4/10